Recipe by Brian Holley
A quick to cook Balti dish. The use of mango powder is unusual, if you have problems you could use the flesh of a fresh mango instead. This is not a dhansak dish.
- 1 lb skinless chicken, and cubed
- 3 ounces split yellow lentils
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 6 dried red chilies
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons mango powder (flesh of a mango) or 2 teaspoons fresh mango (flesh of a mango)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the lentils and add to a large pan, cover them with water and boil them for 10 minutes Drain them.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat and fry the leeks, red chillies, curry leaves and mustard seeds, stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the mango, tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander and salt, stir and add the chicken.Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils to the chicken and fry for 3 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the chopped coriander.