Recipe by Brian Holley
Very popular dish. You will like this one, yogurt, cream and almonds make this a bit special. I have cooked this many times always with success, there's never any left over.
Top Review by Rinshinomori
I was looking for an easy to make but tasty recipe getting ready for all the cooking I have to do for the Thanksgiving. This was a breeze to make and so delicious! One pan cooking - how simple is that. I accompanied this with ready made garlic naan and it was perfect. I always have to worry about food not being too hot for my husband as he does not like hot foods, but this was not hot, just wonderfully aromatic. I made this recipe for 2 servings and followed the recipe except used chicken thighs and also added some komatsuna (Japanese greens) to boost the nutrient level as well as color. Thank you Brian H for introducing us to Balti cooking. We are converts!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken breasts, and cubed
- 5 fluid ounces plain yogurt
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves, crumpled up
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons single cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend together the yogurt, almonds, spices, ginger, garlic salt and tomatoes.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and set aside.
- In a wok melt the butter with the oil and fry the onions for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and spices and stir fry for 10 minutes.
- Add half of the coriander leaves if using. Mix well.
- Pour in the cream, stir.
- Serve garnished with the remaining coriander leaves.