1/3 Photos of Balsamico Roast Chicken and Potatoes
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This delicious pairing comes from "The Italian Country Table" by Lynne Caspar. It's become a family favorite in my house, as well as a dish we frequently use for entertaining. Don't let the ingredient list scare you - it's minced together and rubbed into the chicken. Roasting is largely unattended.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 ounces pancetta, minced
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken
- 6 medium yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Mince onion, garlic, herbs, and pancetta together. Add 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, and oil.
- 3Quarter the chicken. Flatten as much as possible. Stuff most of the herb mixture under the skin. Toss potatoes with remaining herb mixture.
- 4Place the bird skin side up in large flat roasting pan. Scatter potatoes around it. Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper.
- 5Roast 20 minutes, then pour in 1/2 cup wine. Roast another 70 minutes or so, until the thigh reaches about 175°F on an instant-read thermometer. Baste the potatoes and chicken frequently with the pan juices. Add more wine if the pan becomes dry.
- 6If after an hour of roasting, the chicken isn't browning, raise the oven temp to 500°F for a few minutes to crisp the skin.
- 7Let stand 5-10 minutes at room temperature Present on a warmed platter with the potatoes, sprinkling everything with the remaining balsamic vinegar.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamico Roast Chicken and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1133.6
- Calories from Fat 570
- Total Fat 63.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 297.6 mg
- Sodium 294.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 78.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: