1/3 Photos of Balsamico Roast Chicken and Potatoes
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This delicious pairing comes from "The Italian Country Table" by Lynne Caspar. It's become a family favorite in my house, as well as a dish we frequently use for entertaining. Don't let the ingredient list scare you - it's minced together and rubbed into the chicken. Roasting is largely unattended.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 ounces pancetta, minced
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken
- 6 medium yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Mince onion, garlic, herbs, and pancetta together. Add 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, and oil.
- 3Quarter the chicken. Flatten as much as possible. Stuff most of the herb mixture under the skin. Toss potatoes with remaining herb mixture.
- 4Place the bird skin side up in large flat roasting pan. Scatter potatoes around it. Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper.
- 5Roast 20 minutes, then pour in 1/2 cup wine. Roast another 70 minutes or so, until the thigh reaches about 175°F on an instant-read thermometer. Baste the potatoes and chicken frequently with the pan juices. Add more wine if the pan becomes dry.
- 6If after an hour of roasting, the chicken isn't browning, raise the oven temp to 500°F for a few minutes to crisp the skin.
- 7Let stand 5-10 minutes at room temperature Present on a warmed platter with the potatoes, sprinkling everything with the remaining balsamic vinegar.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamico Roast Chicken and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1133.6
- Calories from Fat 570
- Total Fat 63.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 297.6 mg
- Sodium 294.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 78.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: