Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This delicious pairing comes from "The Italian Country Table" by Lynne Caspar. It's become a family favorite in my house, as well as a dish we frequently use for entertaining. Don't let the ingredient list scare you - it's minced together and rubbed into the chicken. Roasting is largely unattended.
- 1⁄4 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 ounces pancetta, minced
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 6 medium yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mince onion, garlic, herbs, and pancetta together. Add 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, and oil.
- Quarter the chicken. Flatten as much as possible. Stuff most of the herb mixture under the skin. Toss potatoes with remaining herb mixture.
- Place the bird skin side up in large flat roasting pan. Scatter potatoes around it. Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper.
- Roast 20 minutes, then pour in 1/2 cup wine. Roast another 70 minutes or so, until the thigh reaches about 175°F on an instant-read thermometer. Baste the potatoes and chicken frequently with the pan juices. Add more wine if the pan becomes dry.
- If after an hour of roasting, the chicken isn't browning, raise the oven temp to 500°F for a few minutes to crisp the skin.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes at room temperature Present on a warmed platter with the potatoes, sprinkling everything with the remaining balsamic vinegar.
This is quite simple to make and delicious as well...Thanks
I think I may have used too much wine, but everyone at dinner this past Sunday LOVED the taste, and so did I!!! Sticking the herbs and pancetta underneath the skin - never thought of that before. I did use some white meat too and had to make extra to cover the potatoes. It was fine and I'll definitely make it again. Thanks.