Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Cooking Pleasures magazine. The heat from the pasta helps to melt the cheese and warm the sauce. You can also use a combination of basil and arugula for a tomato caprice taste.
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped (2 large)
- 2 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces penne pasta (strozzapreti if available)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Make sauce: In large bowl, stir together tomatoes, arugula, garlic, mozzarella, salt, pepper and oil. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions; drain. Toss with sauce. Add vinegar; toss.
We really liked this side dish....I doubled it and I was glad I did....I used the spirel noodles instead of penne....
So, so, so good. And very simple to assemble! The only caveat I have is that I didn't read down far enough to see that the sauce needs to rest 30 minutes, so chefs beware ;). We couldn't get enough of this delicious combination of flavors, and while I had all sorts of ideas while eating (add pine nuts! olives!) to be honest this simple dish was enough as is. The only change I made was to take the oil down to 2 T, as I don't like a really oily dish and I only used 10 oz pasta as that's all I had. Thanks so much for posting! Made for Healthy Choices ABC.