Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Quick and easy summer salad with a light balsamic vinaigrette that even the grandkids gobbled up. The fresh basil is optional, but adds a lot. It could be replaced with baby spinach, parsley or fresh cilantro. Play with this recipe, all ingredients except those in the vinaigrette are approximate. Add some chopped bacon at the last minute to highlight the savory flavors, some cumber for extra fresh crunchiness.. Heirloom tomatoes, yellow tomatoes add so much color and depth to the flavor. Have some fun!
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes or 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced sweet onions or 1 cup red onion
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 2⁄3 cup white balsamic vinegar or 2⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half, chop other tomatoes to suit your taste. Slice onion, it only takes one, in thin half or quarter moons.
- Mix remaining ingredients. I use a Bullet or food processor to make this step really easy.
- Roll basil leaves and slice into thin ribbons at the last minute.
- Toss it all together, put it on the table and get out of the way.