Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Here is an delicious twist on the traditional strawberry shortcake. Classic sweet biscuit base meets fresh berries laced with balsamic vinegar.
- 5 cups sliced strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Stir together first 3 ingredients; let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir together eggs and 3/4 cup whipping cream; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times.
- Pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness; cut with a 3 inch cutter.
- Place shortcakes on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Beat remaining 1 1/2 cups whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Split shortcakes.
- Place 1 cake bottom on each of 8 individual plates.
- Spoon half of whipped cream mixture over shortcakes.
- Top with strawberry mixture and dollop with remaining whipped cream.
- Add cake tops and sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar.
Absolutely delicious and with perfect directions too! What more can I ask for! This is a must for when strawberries are at their peak! We will be having this again this summer. Thanks for sharing!