Recipe by Sackville
I haven't tried this but I'm told the little bit of vinegar gives the berries a unique and divine flavour. The original idea came from a chef who was inspired by the French way of marinating strawberries in red wine.
Top Review by Malriah
Some people may really like this but we didn't. The vinegar killed the natural sweetness of the strawberries and gave it an odd taste. I think that balsamic vinegar is really good in savory dishes but it just didn't do it for me in a sweet one. Sorry
- 400 g strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (preferrably aged)
- 284 g whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the stalks from the strawberries.
- Leave any small ones whole but cut larger ones in half or quarters.
- Place in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with sugar.
- Leave the sugar to melt with the strawberry juices, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vinegar and toss thoroughly with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it just holds its shape.
- Transfer into a serving bowl.
- Loosely fold the strawberries and their juices into the cream, keeping it swirly.
- Serve immediately.