Recipe by auntchelle
Nothing new about strawberries and balsamic. But, add peppery wafers and you have an elegant, unusual and healthy dessert. Australian measurements used. (From Aust. Women's Weekly)
Top Review by Jen T
I made this for my husbands Birthday dinner and received lots of compliments including our guests thinking I had bought the wafers :) Very quick and easy to make. A great summer time dessert. A 'keeper' for us for sure :)
- 750 g strawberries, halved
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar (55g)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour (35g)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar, extra
- 1 egg white
- 30 g butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl combine strawberries, sugar and vinegar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve with wafers.
- Wafers: Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas 4) or lower for fan-forced. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Place flour, extra sugar, egg white, butter and vanilla into a small bowl then beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Place 1 level teaspoon of mixture on prepared tray. Use the back of spoon to smooth mix into an 8cm circle. Repeat, allowing 2cm between each wafer.
- Sprinkle pepper over each wafer then bake about 5 mins, or until lightly brown. Cool 15 minutes.