Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Nothing new about strawberries and balsamic. But, add peppery wafers and you have an elegant, unusual and healthy dessert. Australian measurements used. (From Aust. Women's Weekly)
- 750 g strawberries, halved
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar (55g)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour (35g)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar, extra
- 1 egg white
- 30 g butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a bowl combine strawberries, sugar and vinegar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve with wafers.
- Wafers: Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas 4) or lower for fan-forced. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Place flour, extra sugar, egg white, butter and vanilla into a small bowl then beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Place 1 level teaspoon of mixture on prepared tray. Use the back of spoon to smooth mix into an 8cm circle. Repeat, allowing 2cm between each wafer.
- Sprinkle pepper over each wafer then bake about 5 mins, or until lightly brown. Cool 15 minutes.
I made this for my husbands Birthday dinner and received lots of compliments including our guests thinking I had bought the wafers :) Very quick and easy to make. A great summer time dessert. A 'keeper' for us for sure :)