If you like veal, mushrooms and goats cheese, you will love this recipe all the flavours that come through are wonderful and the goats cheese on top really finishes this off in my opinion. It was sort of an experiment the other night and I think it turned out gorgeous. I served mine with celeriac mash and spinach with bacon, onion and red pepper, so just serve with your favourite side.
- 8 small veal scallops (about 400g)
- 6 large flat brown button mushrooms
- 150 g goat cheese, sliced into 6 slices
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 14.79 ml fresh rosemary leaf, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 19.71 ml balsamic vinegar, Extra
- 2.46 ml beef stock granules
- 14.78 ml sugar
- Combine oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, rosemary, garlic and veal in a bowl, mix well, stand 15 minutes.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and cook in a little butter until tender, set to one side.
- Cook veal in a pan or under the grill, brushing occasionally with vinegar mixture, until cooked as desired. I leave them a little under cooked as they are going under the grill to melt cheese at the end, this prevents overcooking. Remove veal to an oven proof dish.
- In a small saucepan add any left over marinade and juices from the pan, add the extra vinegar, beef stock and sugar, stir over heat until sugar dissolves, leave on low heat to keep warm.
- Place mushrooms on top of veal and place a slice of cheese in each mushroom, place under the grill for a couple of minutes to melt cheese.
- To Serve: Serve atop your favourite mash and drizzle sauce over.