Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Rustic country cooking from Italy.
- 1 lb red onion, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet, add onions and potatoes and toss to coat.
- Cook over medium heat, turning occasionally until vegetables are golden brown.
- Season with salt and pepper, add sage and 1/2 the vinegar and mix.
- Place in an ovenproof dish, cover and bake 20 minutes.
- Add remaining vinegar, bake uncovered 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
If you like Balsamic Vinegar (like I do) you must try this recipe. I'm a big fan of any kind of roasted vegetables and this recipe was wonderful. What's not to like when you have butter, onions & potatoes! I cooked mine in the skillet until they were a little "crusty" so I cut down on the baking time in the oven. Great recipe - thanks Lorac!
Very good flavor .... used it as a side with a nice beef filet. The flavor complimented the beef in a great way. I added a little garlic because we love it!
made these last week to accompany roast lamb. absolutely pefect. just changed the sage for rosemary (to go better with the lamb). the smell in the kitchen was wonderful and I will be preparing them again very soon. Thanks