Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
For a lighter option to traditional Thanksgiving sides, try these Balsamic-Roasted Carrots and Parsnips. Light brown sugar and cherries add a bit of sweetness balanced by crushed red pepper and lemon zest.
- 1 (4 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweet cherries, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss together first 5 ingredients and 1 tablespoons olive oil in a small bowl.
- Cut carrots and parsnips lengthwise into long, thin strips.
- Whisk together brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl. Toss with carrots and parsnips, and place on a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bake at 400° for 40 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and browned, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and gently toss with feta cheese mixture.