Recipe by paperfreeme
This is based on a recipe from Second Helpings from Union Square Cookbook. Much to the dismay of family and friends, I could never learn to appreciate asparagus. It always reminded me somehow of eating grass. But I tried this recipe and finally found a way to love asparagus. This is incredibly simple, but the combination is superb. Spending the extra to get true fleur de sel is really worth it for this dish.
Top Review by RedVinoGirl
Oh man..this was PERFECT. Saved a relatively miserable dinner tonight. LOVED this. Super flavorful...super easy. I didn't measure the balsamic vinegar but followed the rest to the letter. LOVED IT!!!!
- 1 lb thin asparagus spear
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt (fleur de sel is excellent here)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash the asparagus and break the tough ends off (no need to peel them in my opinion).
- Place the asparagus in a roasting pan and drizzle on the oil and sprinkle with the pepper.
- Shake the pan to coat the asparagus evenly with oil.
- Place in the oven and roast until asparagus is softened but retains a little crunch, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Watch it carefully!
- It's so sad to overcook it!
- Remove from oven, arrange on a serving platter and top with the balsamic vinegar, fleur de sel and freshly grated parmesan (no kraft please! Use the real stuff).
- Serve immediately.