Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook, submitted by Tracy Tylkowski of Omaha, Nebraska
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Pat chicken dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper; rub under skin of chicken.
- Place onions in a shallow roasting pan; top with chicken.
- Combine wine and balsamic vinegar; pour over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 2 ¼ to 2 ¾ hours or until a thermometer reads 180 degrees, basting occasionally with the pan juices. (Cover loosely with foil if the chicken browns too quickly.).
- Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Remove and discard skin before serving.
- Pour onion sauce into a small bowl; skim fat. Serve with chicken.