Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the first jelly or jam I tried after a friend of mine made me try some pepper jelly she had. I fell in love with it and now make it for Christmas to give as gifts. It's actually requested now.
- Wash, stem and seed red and jalapeno peppers.
- Finely chop enough red pepper to measure 1/2 cup and set aside.
- Puree remaining red and jalapeno peppers and garlic in food processor.
- Pour prepared mixture into dampened jelly bag or cheese cloth lined sieve suspended over a deep container and let drip for 30 minutes.
- While peppers and garlic puree drips, prepare 7 125 ml mason jars and snap lids per canning directions.
- Measure sugar and set aside.
- Measure 1 1/2 cups of pepper juice into a large sauce pan.
- Stir in chopped red pepper, wine and balsamic vinegars and lemon juice.
- Whisk in fruit pectin until dissolved.
- Add 1/2 tsp of oil to reduce foaming (if desired).
- Stirring frequently, bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Add sugar then stir constantly while returning mixture to a full, rolling boil.
- Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and skim foam.
- Fill and heat process jars as directed in canning process.
I love red peppers and I love using balsamic vinegar, so I was hoping to really enjoy this recipe but I did not. <br/><br/>I found the peppers annoying to process without liquid, as I use a blender instead of a processor. I had to add the vinegar so that I could get them processed, but it did come up with precisely the correct amount of "juice"( 2cups, including juice and vinegar). I have to say that I used apple cider vinegar because I didn't have red wine vinegar, but I honestly don't think that it would have changed my rating. <br/><br/>The colour is a muddy brown, and the leftover bit that I have just tried prior to heat processing was disappointing. It left a very strong, almost raw, garlic flavour with me. That being said, perhaps the heat processing and some time in my pantry to mellow and blend will make a difference to my review. <br/><br/>If it does, I will absolutely update it.