Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found something great from one of my Thanksgiving leftovers (balsamic red onions).
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- white truffle oil (optional)
- Place onions, balsamic, oil, salt and sugar in sauce pan, cover and cook on medium low until very soft. The onions should still be purple in color (if they are black there is probably too much vinegar -- remember you can always add more but you can't take it out).
- Put together cheese and onion on bread. Spray with truffle oil and grill in pan or panini press.
- Dunk it in tomato basil soup. Yum.
Absolutely delightful. I used rye bread, and forgot to add the sugar. Now whenever I feel like making a big pot of french onion soup, I'll make this instead. They taste the same!