Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Balsamic vinegar and rosemary give this pot roast a great flavor. Serve with cooked egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, trimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cups baby carrots, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, ground
- 1 cup diced tomato (canned)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a large, heavy skillet, sear the beef in the oil until browned all over. Transfer the beef to your slow cooker.
- Scatter the onion, carrots and garlic around the beef.
- In a bowl, stir together the broth, bouillon, vinegar, and rosemary. Pour the mixture over the beef.
- Pour the tomatoes on top.
- Season with pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker, and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When cooking time is up, remove the beef with tongs and place it on a serving platter. Scoop the onions and carrots out with a slotted spoon and pile them around the roast.
- Turn crock pot to high and thicken the juice left in the slow cooker with cornstarch mixed with water. Serve it with the beef.
I couldnt find a nice roast so I used eye of round steaks and they were so tender they fell apart when taking them out to plate. Loved the flavor of the carrots, used a large tablespoon of garlic, and 18 year old balsamic vinegar. Didnt make the gravy today but spooned the juices over the meat and mashed potatoes. Thank you mikekey for a great tasting supper tonight! Made and reviewed for the Game Forum's I Recommend Tag Game.
This is really lovely. The gravy is so full of flavour, tomato, rosemary, balsamic, garlic - wow! Great recipe to throw together, leave all day and come home to a fantastic meal. The only change I made was to use fresh rosemary instead of dried. Served with Smashed Potatoes and some steamed vegies. Top notch, thank you.
Mikekey, Great flavors! Thanks so much for posting. It was lovely to come home to after one of the toughest days. I did not have beef bouillon cubes or granules so I used beef consomme instead of the beef broth/cube combo. I also used 5 garlic cloves and lots of freshly cracked black pepper and fresh rosemary. Loved the flavor of the balsamic. **This was saved in my Top 2008 Recipes Cookbook!!