Balsamic vinegar and rosemary give this pot roast a great flavor. Serve with cooked egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, trimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cups baby carrots, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, ground
- 1 cup diced tomato (canned)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a large, heavy skillet, sear the beef in the oil until browned all over. Transfer the beef to your slow cooker.
- Scatter the onion, carrots and garlic around the beef.
- In a bowl, stir together the broth, bouillon, vinegar, and rosemary. Pour the mixture over the beef.
- Pour the tomatoes on top.
- Season with pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker, and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When cooking time is up, remove the beef with tongs and place it on a serving platter. Scoop the onions and carrots out with a slotted spoon and pile them around the roast.
- Turn crock pot to high and thicken the juice left in the slow cooker with cornstarch mixed with water. Serve it with the beef.