Recipe by sofie-a-toast
I made this up, inspired by a recipe from Food and Wine. While this looks like a lot of vinegar, don't worry! By boiling it, the acidity goes away and a thick, semi-sweet/savory syrup is left.
- 453.59 g penne pasta
- 118.29 ml balsamic vinegar
- 236.59 ml broccoli, heads chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 113.39 g cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 236.59 ml spinach, chopped
- 59.16 ml butter
- 78.07 ml parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- freshly grated pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil a large pot of water for pasta, cook according to package directions. Drain and toss with 3 T butter.
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-low heat. Boil, stirring constantly about 5-10 minutes or until balsamic has become the consistency of maple syrup. There should only be about 3-4 T left. Be careful not to burn,.
- Meanwhile, place 1 T of butter in a skillet with onions and salt and pepper to taste. Stir fry onions over medium heat until transparent. Add broccoli and mushrooms along with 1/3 cup water. Cook, stirring every now and then for about 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender and water has evaporated.
- Mix pasta, balsamic reduction, cooked veggies, raw spinach and cheese together. Serve and garnish with extra pepper and cheese.