Recipe by heather in Ont,
This side dish compliments pork tenderloin. The balsamic vinegar and grated orange peel give the couscous the added flavor it requires. It is a very subtle flavour.
- 2 cups instant couscous or 2 cups whole wheat couscous
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place couscous in a large bowl. Combine water and juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Pour water mixture over couscous.
- Cover tightly and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables and add to couscous mixture.
- Stir balsamic vinegar with orange peel, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Whisk in olive oil then drizzle over couscous mixture. Toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning just before serving if necessary.