A great side for any barbecued meat. I find it easier to lift the onion slices from the grill by using 2 spatulas -- one on top and one underneath. It helps to keep the onions from separating. The onion slices must marinate for about 8 hours before grilling so plan ahead. The recipe comes from Southern Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices sweet onions, about 1/2 inch thick, about 3 onions
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 rounds, 1/2 inch thick
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 4 slices fresh tomatoes, about 1/2 inch thick, about 2 tomatoes
- fresh basil sprig
- 1Arrange onion slices in a single layer in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 2Stir together vinegar and next 4 ingredients and pour over onion slices.
- 3Cover and chill 8 hours, turning once.
- 4Remove onions from dressing with a slotted spatula, reserving dressing.
- 5Grill onion slices, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender and golden.
- 6Layer half of grilled onion slices each with 1 cheese round, 2 basil leaves, and 1 tomato slice; top with remaining half of onion slices.
- 7Grill onion stacks, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 8Serve onion stacks with reserved dressing.
- 9Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamic Onion Stacks
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.8
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 939.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 13.0 g