Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
A great side for any barbecued meat. I find it easier to lift the onion slices from the grill by using 2 spatulas -- one on top and one underneath. It helps to keep the onions from separating. The onion slices must marinate for about 8 hours before grilling so plan ahead. The recipe comes from Southern Living.
- 8 slices sweet onions, about 1/2 inch thick, about 3 onions
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 rounds, 1/2 inch thick
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 4 slices fresh tomatoes, about 1/2 inch thick, about 2 tomatoes
- fresh basil sprig
- Arrange onion slices in a single layer in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Stir together vinegar and next 4 ingredients and pour over onion slices.
- Cover and chill 8 hours, turning once.
- Remove onions from dressing with a slotted spatula, reserving dressing.
- Grill onion slices, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender and golden.
- Layer half of grilled onion slices each with 1 cheese round, 2 basil leaves, and 1 tomato slice; top with remaining half of onion slices.
- Grill onion stacks, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve onion stacks with reserved dressing.
- Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.