Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Simple savory roast chicken
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (2 5/8 ounce) packagegolden onion soup mix (2 envelopes)
- 1⁄4 cup white balsamic vinegar or 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 roasting chicken
- Preheat oven ot 400F.
- Cut onion into 1/2 inch thick slices; arrange evenly over bottlom of deep dish baker and add water.
- In small bowl combine soup mix, vinegar, oil, paprika, and pressed garlic.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken cavity. Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry. Brush soup mixture over backside of chicken. Place chicken in baker breast side up. Brush inside cavity of chicken with soup mixture. Tuck in wing tips and tie legs together. Brush remaining soup mixture evenly over ourside of chicken.
- Cover chicken loosely with aluminum foil. Bake 1 hour, 40 minutes to 2 hours or until thermometer reads 180F and juices run clear. Remove foil during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking. Serve with onions and pan juices.