1/3 Photos of Balsamic Onion, Mushroom & Blue Cheese Tarts
These little guys are great to add to appetizer platters for parties and would also be great to pack in a picnic basket. The sticky sweetness of the balsamic onions works well with earthiness of the mushrooms and blue cheese. They are good cold. So, you don't have to worry about cooking them and keeping them warm during your event.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 12 1/2 ounces refrigerated pie dough, pre-rolled variety
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream, reduced fat is fine
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 1/2 ounces blue cheese, a nice squidgy variety
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Put a pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
- 3Once the butter starts to froth, put the thinly sliced red onions in and turn the heat down to low.
- 4Cook, stirring often, until the onions have become translucent. This will take about 10 minutes but keep an eye on them.
- 5Add the sugar and the balsamic vinegar to the onions and cook on low, stirring often for about 10 minutes until the onion mixture is sticky and the liquid thickened up.
- 6Set the onions aside to cool.
- 7Melt the remaining butter in another pan and cook the mushrooms for a few minutes until they have just started to change color.
- 8Set the mushrooms aside to cool.
- 9Whilst the onions and mushrooms are cooling, layout your pie dough. You want the dough to be about as thick as a pinkie. If your pre-rolled dough is thicker roll it out to the desired thickness.
- 10Using a round cookie cutter or a glass, cut out 12 rounds of the dough.
- 11Press each round of dough into a hole of a 12 yield muffin tin. If your pan usually sticks, spray each hole with cooking spray before hand.
- 12Next, put the egg and sour cream into a bowl with the salt and pepper and beat together.
- 13Stir through the dried parsley and crumbled blue cheese. Set aside.
- 14Spoon a bit of the balsamic onions into the base of each tart.
- 15Top the onions with the mushrooms, trying to cover as much of the surface as possible.
- 16Spoon the blue cheese mixture over the top of each tart.
- 17Put tarts in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until the pastry has gone golden and the cheese mixture has set.
- 18Take out of the oven and allow to cool before serving so the cheese mixture can firm up a little bit.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamic Onion, Mushroom & Blue Cheese Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.0
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 31.3 mg
- Sodium 290.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g