Recipe by DrGaellon
After a recipe from Tom Colicchio's _'wichcraft_, using a technique from Alton Brown.
Top Review by Dorichan
This Wichcraft recipe was featured in our local newspaper a few weeks ago as part of a sandwich recipe, and I've made it every Sunday afternoon to get it ready for our Turkey Sandwiches with Avocado, Bacon and Balsamic Marmalade that my son takes to school and I take to work. To make the Wichcraft sandwich, you use a sandwich roll or ciabatta bread cut in half, place turkey slices on bottom half, top with Onion Marmalade, bacon (I use turkey bacon), sliced avocado, and then spread mayo on top of the rolls and serve. It is MARVELOUS!
- 4 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the onions. Cut in half through the root. Thinly slice into half-moon shapes.
- Set electric skillet to 300°F Add oil and wait until it shimmers. Add a layer of onion and sprinkle with a little salt. Continue layering onion and salt until all the onions are in the pan. Cover and let stand, untouched, 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle in black pepper to taste, then sugar. Cook, stirring often, 10 minutes, until onions look fairly dry.
- Add vinegar and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 1 hour, or until onions are very soft and a dark mahogany brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. It will keep, refrigerated, up to 1 month.