Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From RecipeSource.com. I love onions in balsamic vinegar.
Make and share this Balsamic Onion and Cheese Picks recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white pearl onions
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 lb italian Fontina cheese, cut in cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Blanch onions in boiling, salted water for 30 seconds; drain.
- Slice off the root end and"peel" the onions by pressing them slightly between your fingers.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Put onions in roasting pan, cover with oil mixture and toss to coat well.
- Bake until tender (about 25 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To serve place 2 onions on cocoktail skewer with cheese cube.
Incredibly sweet and oh-so-good. A keeper. Made for the All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag.
This is identical to a recipe my husband and I enjoyed during our honeymoon in Italy. However, cooking vinegar burns my eyes, so I roast the onions with oil, salt and pepper, and then put them into a jar and cover with balsamic vinegar. Let cool and refrigerate. Great with cream cheese and crackers. The onion 'juice' also makes a great salad dressing.