Another winner from my sis. I'm not sure where she found this recipe but it is fantastic. I could make a meal of this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 small red onions
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, plus
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, the good stuff
- 3/4 cup olive oil, also the good stuff
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons shallots, minced (about 2 large)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, good quality
- 12 -16 ounces maytag blue cheese
- 2 heads red leaf lettuce, torn (or use bag lettuce)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Cut onions in half and slice to 1/4 inch thickness.
- 3Place on baking sheet and toss with 1/4 cup balsamic, 1/8 cup olive oil, 1 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper.
- 4Bake the onions 15 - 20 minutes or until tender and nicely roasted.
- 5Remove from the oven and toss with 2 T. balsamic and let cool.
- 6For the dressing:.
- 7Whisk shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper in small bowl.
- 8While whisking, add 1/2 cup olive oil until dressing is emulsified.
- 9Mash 1/4 cup of the blue cheese with a fork and add it to the dressing.
- 10To assemble:.
- 11Toss enough lettuce for 6 with dressing to taste.
- 12Place on 6 plates and arrange onions on top.
- 13Coursely crumble the rest of the blue cheese on top.
- 14Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamic Onion and Blue Cheese Salad
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.2
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.0 mg
- Sodium 1321.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 14.9 g