Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another winner from my sis. I'm not sure where she found this recipe but it is fantastic. I could make a meal of this!
- 3 small red onions
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar, plus
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, the good stuff
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil, also the good stuff
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons shallots, minced (about 2 large)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar, good quality
- 12 -16 ounces maytag blue cheese
- 2 heads red leaf lettuce, torn (or use bag lettuce)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut onions in half and slice to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place on baking sheet and toss with 1/4 cup balsamic, 1/8 cup olive oil, 1 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper.
- Bake the onions 15 - 20 minutes or until tender and nicely roasted.
- Remove from the oven and toss with 2 T. balsamic and let cool.
- For the dressing:.
- Whisk shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper in small bowl.
- While whisking, add 1/2 cup olive oil until dressing is emulsified.
- Mash 1/4 cup of the blue cheese with a fork and add it to the dressing.
- To assemble:.
- Toss enough lettuce for 6 with dressing to taste.
- Place on 6 plates and arrange onions on top.
- Coursely crumble the rest of the blue cheese on top.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.