Prep 4 mins
Cook 0 mins
A dark, sweet and mellow mustard which may be used in vinagrettes or savoury meat dishes. This mustard is easy to make and keeps for months in the refrigerator. Please see note at bottom regarding pantry storage.
- 1⁄2 cup mustard seeds (light or dark)
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 -4 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced
- Grind mustard seeds in a spice grinder, mortar and pestle, or mini food processor, until a fine meal texture. (Add the mustard powder if the seeds aren't grinding up.).
- Place in a bowl and stir in the water.
- Let stand, uncovered and unrefrigerated, for 1 - 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Scrape into food processor, add remaining ingredients, and process until quite smooth.
- Taste and add balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt or garlic to taste, keeping in mind that the flavours will mellow over time.
- Place mustard into a clean, dry jar and cover tightly.
- Note: The original recipe states that the mustard will keep indefinitely on the shelf or refrigerated. I have not tried keeping it unrefrigerated so please do so at your own discretion.