Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
A splash of balsamic vinegar adds an unexpected pleasing tartness to sweet potatoes
- 5 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg or 1 pinch cinnamon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prick potatoes, then place directly on rack in center of oven.
- Place a piece of foil on rack below.
- Bake until easily pierced with a knife tip, about 50 minutes.
- Or microwave on high until easily pierced, about 25 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel, then pass through a food mill or ricer, or mash with a potato masher.
- (I love my ricer so I go that way) Place milk, butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and set on a heat-resistant surface.
- Stir in mashed potatoes and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed and potatoes have a smooth consistency.
- Taste and add more vinegar, 1 teaspoon at a time, if needed.
- The advantage of doing this in a saucepan is that if potatoes have cooled a little, you can return pan to low heat and stir often until hot.
Very nice variation for sweet potatoes. We had it with grilled salmon and it was yummy! Thanks for the idea!!
Oops! Forgot to submit my comment along with my rating the first time. I thought this was really good! The balsamic does add a very nice flavor.I only used one sweet potato, so I had to devise my own portions, thus I don't know how this recipe works as is. I also made mine savory by adding minced garlic in place of the cinnamon. I would definitely make this again.