Recipe by Neta
Cooking time is actually marinading time. From Cooking Pleasures magazine.
Top Review by sugarpea
Delightfully messy sandwich to eat but sooo good. Step 2 mentions adding the half the onion slices but they're not mentioned in the ingredients list. Gorgeous 27* summertime recipe, Neta.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (or 6 medium tomatoes)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 loaves French bread, individual size (these are sandwich size loaves)
- 6 leaves boston lettuce (or 1 cup arugula or watercress)
- 2 avocados, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, whisk together oil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and garlic.
- Place half the tomato slices and half of the onion slices in a shallow baking dish; drizzle with half of the olive oil mixture. Add remaining tomato and onion slices; drizzle with remaining olive oil. Let stand at least 2 hours, spooning juices over tomato and onion 4 or 5 times.
- To assemble sandwiches: Split bread loaves and place, cut side up, on a platter; brush cut sides with marinade. Divide tomato and onion mixture among loaves. Top with lettuce and avocado; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.