Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
What a yummy lasagna! If you want it low-fat, just switch the ricotta to low-fat or no-fat, then switch the eggs to just egg whites.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped small
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, regular flavor
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- black pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in pan. Saute onions until tender. Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds. Add balsamic vinegar and continue heating for about 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, pepper flakes, basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer until sauce is thick, about 20 minutes. Stir often, then set aside.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in 4 quarts of lightly salted water until they are al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and let cool.
- Combine the ricotta, eggs, and parsley. Stir well and set aside.
- Combine the mozzarella and gouda in a bowl. Set aside.
- To assemble the lasagna, start with some tomato sauce on the bottom, then noodles, then ricotta mixture, then a little shredded cheese. Repeat this order twice. The last layer should be tomato sauce topped with a little cheese.
- Bake the lasagna uncovered in a 350 degree oven about 40 minutes.
We really enjoyed this lasagna. I had smoked gouda and asiago cheese on hand, so I used those two types. I thought the balsamic worked so well with the other flavors in this dish; just scrumptious. In the future I would make my ricotta filling a little thicker; I felt like 2 eggs was a little bit too much, so I would just use 1 egg next time. The flavors were great though. Thanks!
very yummy I would not change a thing!!!
The taste was excellent, the balsamic vinegar and the mozzarella really made this stand out. The only thing I would change is that I would like to add ground beef. Otherwise no changes. Yummy.