Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A wonderful fusion of flavours. Goes well with most any dish but especially good with full-bodied meats. Pre-cook beets in their skins by baking in foil at 200 Celsius for 1 hour. Alternatively, autocook without added moisture in microwave. preparation time does not include pre-cooking.
- 5 medium beets, baked in their skins and allowed to cool
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius.
- Add honey to balsamic, heat and mix thoroughly.
- Skin and quarter beets, and place cut side up in ovenproof dish.
- Drizzle half the balsamic-honey mixture over beets and bake at 200 Celsius for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle remainder of balsamic-honey mixture over beets and bake for further 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Delicious. Even the non-beet eater liked them. Great flavors from the honey and balsamic. Will be making these again. I steamed the greens and drizzled some of the sauce on them also. Made for the Think Pink 2011 game.
This was my first attempt at making or eating any kind of beets. The first time I made it, I accidentally poured all the sauce on at once and skipped the second baking time. The second time, I made it correctly. I enjoyed both, but I think I actually liked the "incorrect" attempt better. On the "correct" attempt there wasn't really any sauce left over to serve over the beets; on the "incorrect" one there was. I liked having the sauce over them (and not baked onto the pan).