Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
These wonderful onions seem to go with everything! I make them for my husband as a special treat, since the peeling of those little onions can be time consuming...but worth it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white pearl onions, about 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- In a saucepan of boiling water blanch onions for 3 minutes and drain.
- Cool onions and peel.
- In a heavy skillet, over medium high heat,saute onions in olive oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally until onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove onions with slotted spoon, and keep warm.
- Boil remaining liquid until reduced to a thick glaze, about 5 minutes.
The onions just didn't taste right to me. The cooking time had to be reduced by about half (the onions were glazed and there was no liquid in the saucepan in about 8 minutes), and the flavour was very sharp. I added a teaspoon or so of butter and that did the trick. The flavours came together.
I modified the cook time and the amount of Balsamic- after peeling the onions I pan fried them for apprx 5 minutes addec 2 tbsp Balsamic 1 tbsp water and just coated the onions apprx 1 more minute - They were perfect. Still had a bit of crunch left