Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Mario Batali recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the onions in half lengthwise, leaving the skins on.
- In a 12 inch oven proof skillet, heat the oil until smoking.
- Place 4 onion halves cut side down in the skillet.
- Cook without moving them, over medium heat, until dark golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and place the skillet in the oven.
- Bake until the onions are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the pan immediately.
- Place cut side up on a cool plate.
- Pour the syrup that has formed in the pan over the onions and cool to room temperature.
If you love balsamic vinegar, this is a must try! Its also quick & easy. Thanx mermaidmagic!
I halved the recipe because it was just for me, but I wish I had made the full recipe, this was so good! I loved the intense taste of the reduced balsamic vienegar! Thanks mermaid! :)
Very good,I made 2 large onions made them just like the recipe stated. We really enjoyed them with Swordfish and a big salad. We love the syrupie balsamic sauce over the onion. Thank you Mermaidmagic, for the recipe.