From "Simply Italian Food: Recipes from my Two Villages"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces prosciutto or 2 ounces bacon
- 2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, piece
- 2 medium red onions, sliced into 1-inch disks
- 3/4 cup lambrusco or 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 heads radicchio
- 1Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Remove the giblets and set aside.
- 2Combine the garlic, rosemary, black pepper, and sea salt and mix with 3 tablespoons of the extra-virgin olive oil. Run the outside of the chicken all over with the rosemary mixture. Place the prosciutto and cheese rinds inside the cavity, cover and refrigerate for3 hours or overnight.
- 3Preheat the oven to 475ºF.
- 4Place the onion slices and reserved giblets in the bottom of a small, heavy-bottomed roasting pan. Place the chicken on top of the onions, breast side up. Pour the wine over the chicken and rub all over with 1/4 cup of the vinegar. Roast in the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a skewer pushed into the thickest part of the thigh shows clear- not bloody- juices. Remove the pan from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes.
- 5Preheat the grill or broiler.
- 6Halve the radicchio lengthwise and grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Brush with the remaining olive oil and set aside.
- 7Transfer the chicken to a carving platter and degrease the pan juices. Combine the onions and giblets with the pan juices. Carve the chicken, drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup vinegar, and serve immediately over the radicchio. Pass the giblet gravy separately.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamic Glazed Chicken With Grilled Radicchio
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 862.8
- Calories from Fat 555
- Total Fat 61.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 197.4 mg
- Sodium 1011.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 50.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: