Recipe by rusted_essence
I found this on cdkitchen. I haven't tried it but knew I wanted to save it so here it is... This recipe calls for 2 oz parmiggiano-reggiano rind but zaar will not recognize it...
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 4 tablespoons rosemary (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces prosciutto rind (or bacon)
- 2 medium red onions (1 inch thick slices)
- 3⁄4 cup lambrusco or 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Remove the giblets and set aside. Combine the garlic, rosemary, black pepper, and sea salt and mix with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Rub the outside of the chicken all over with the rosemary mixture. Place the proscuitto and cheese rinds inside the cavity. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 475°F Place the onion slices and reserved giblets in the bottom of a small, heavy-bottomed roasting pan. Place the chicken on top of the onions, breast side up. Pour the wine over the chicken and rub all over with 1/4 cup of the vinegar. Roast in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the thickest part of the thigh shows clear - not bloody - juices.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a carving platter. Degrease the pan juices. Combine the onions and giblets with the pan juices. Carve the chicken. Drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup vinegar. Pass the giblet gravy separately.