Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for mid-week entertaining. Easy and impressive but will require at least 8 hours or over night marinating. You can refrigerate this for up to 2 days for more intense flavour. Since the experts do not suggest using the marinade where the meat sat for sometime, I think it is advisable to double the marinade and divide it in half and use the reserved part for later.
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 lbs flank steaks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large plastic bag, combine vingegar, soy sauce and sugar; add steak.
- Seal and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Remove from marinade, reserving the marinade (used the reserved half if you doubled the marinade recipe).
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat, cook onion, garlic, stirring, until transluscent, 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook until liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade; cook until no liquid remains, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, broil steak, or grill over medium-high heat, for 7-9 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer to cutting board. Tent with foil; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Slice thinly across the grain.
- Serve with mushroom mixture; sprinkle with parsley.