Recipe by Julesong
These are "fajitas" that you can make up ahead of time - you make the filling then put it in a thermal container and bring it along with you to picnics and fill your tortillas on the spot. The meat and other ingredients are cubed/diced, rather than in strips, to make it easier to use as a filling. I like adding vegetables into meals whenever I can, so there are some ingredients in this you might not usually see in fajitas! ;) Prep time includes marination. (This recipe is also an entry for the June 2002 "Ready, Set, Cook" contest at RecipeZaar.)
Top Review by Bergy
Julesong I followed the ingredients to the letter (after all this is a recipe competition) and it was great! You suggested in your instructions that some people like their veggies crisp, I do so I sauted the chicken with the mushrooms & onions only, rinsed and drained the beans and added them . added the spices, then 2 minutes before serving I added the peppers & broccoli, I didn't add the sour cream & avacado but just put them on the finished fajita along with the cheese and salsa. Neat idea to take them on a picnic!I I really enjoyed your recipe and wish you luck in our little competition Thanks Julesong
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, 1/2 inch diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, 1/2 inch diced
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, 1/2 inch diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli, slaw cut to 1/2 inch lengths (fresh broccoli stem, julienned, available in stores or make your own)
- 1 cup cooked canned black beans, drained (for fewer carbs, use black soy beans)
- 1⁄2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled,seeded,and 1/2 inch diced
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 -6 large flour tortillas (10 inch or larger)
- grated cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the vinegar, lime juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil, and minced garlic in a Ziplock bag or non-reactive bowl.
- Add cubed chicken breast and let marinate in refrigerator for an hour or two.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining olive oil and butter together.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
- Stirring occasionally, sauté the chicken, onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, and broccoli slaw pieces over medium-high until chicken is cooked completely and the veggies are to the desired texture (some people prefer them crisp and some like them softer), which will take about 7 to 10 or so minutes.
- Reduce heat, add in the remaining ingredients except the avocado, sour cream, and flour tortillas and simmer on medium-low for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the avocado and sour cream; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- If you're taking these to a picnic, put the fajita mix into a thermal container to keep it warm; on site give each person a tortilla and pass around the filling.
- If you're eating them at home, fill the tortillas with the mixture, garnish with grated cheese, and enjoy!
- Makes 4 to 6 servings, depending on how hungry you are; you can also use smaller tortillas and an additional chicken breast to get more servings, if you like.
- You can, of course, use more or less of any of the veggies to get a mixture that*you* enjoy!