1/3 Photos of Balsamic Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan
1 hr 15 mins
This is so good! I love the flavors and I hope you do too! I got this off the internet (I don't remember where) and tweaked it a bit. Not only is this yummy but only 3 weight watcher points! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 medium eggplants, cut in 1/2 inch slices, peel if desired
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (I like a lot, you may use less)
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine, divided (or use other liquid, such as water)
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, no added oil
- 1 cup fresh tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Combine vinegar, oil, oregano, 1/2 tsp each salt, pepper and sugar.
- 3Coat large cookie sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- 4Brush both sides of eggplant with vinegar mixture and arrange in single layer on cookie sheet.
- 5Bake 15 minutes per side or until fork-tender.
- 6Combine onions, garlic, and 2 Tbsp of wine in large non-stick skillet, stirring over medium-high head until onions are soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- 7Stir in stewed tomatoes with their liquid, chopped tomato, basil, remaining 2 Tbsp wine, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp sugar.
- 8Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally to break up tomatoes, 10 minute.
- 9Makes approximately 2 1/2 cup sauce.
- 10Note: In a pinch I have used canned spaghetti sauce, and it worked just fine.
- 11Spoon one third of the sauce into shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- 12Arrange half the eggplant over sauce.
- 13Spoon half the remaining sauce over eggplant.
- 14Sprinkle on half of the mozzarella.
- 15Layer again with remaining eggplant, sauce and mozzarella.
- 16Top with parmesan.
- 17Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- 18Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes more, until bubbly.
- 19Let stand 15 minutes before serving for easier cutting.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamic Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.1
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 1.1 mg
- Sodium 269.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lowfat mozzarella cheese