Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is so good! I love the flavors and I hope you do too! I got this off the internet (I don't remember where) and tweaked it a bit. Not only is this yummy but only 3 weight watcher points! Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 medium eggplants, cut in 1/2 inch slices, peel if desired
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (I like a lot, you may use less)
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine, divided (or use other liquid, such as water)
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, no added oil
- 1 cup fresh tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine vinegar, oil, oregano, 1/2 tsp each salt, pepper and sugar.
- Coat large cookie sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Brush both sides of eggplant with vinegar mixture and arrange in single layer on cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes per side or until fork-tender.
- Combine onions, garlic, and 2 Tbsp of wine in large non-stick skillet, stirring over medium-high head until onions are soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in stewed tomatoes with their liquid, chopped tomato, basil, remaining 2 Tbsp wine, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp sugar.
- Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally to break up tomatoes, 10 minute.
- Makes approximately 2 1/2 cup sauce.
- Note: In a pinch I have used canned spaghetti sauce, and it worked just fine.
- Spoon one third of the sauce into shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Arrange half the eggplant over sauce.
- Spoon half the remaining sauce over eggplant.
- Sprinkle on half of the mozzarella.
- Layer again with remaining eggplant, sauce and mozzarella.
- Top with parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes more, until bubbly.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving for easier cutting.
So good and so easy to put together. Love the slight bite the balsamic gives it, a unique flavor. I'll be using this one often thanks so much for posting
I REALLY liked this. Eggplant is such a healthy food and I'm trying to eat more of it. This is a recipe that I'll be making again and again. I just love the sauce. I didn't bake mine as long as it said in the recipe, but I broiled it at the end to get the cheese nice and bubbly. Thanks for posting!
YUMMY! We are new to eating eggplant so I am pretty careful about which recipes to try - this one was GREAT! I had one large eggplant (which I think was enough) and added probably 3 cups of mushrooms to the onion mixture (because I needed to use them up) - we loved it! And it really is only 3 points - woo hoo! Thanks for sharing!!!