Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Best and easiest eggplant dish I've found to date (and I've tried many)! You do not need to add all the specific veggies on top - use what is in fridge.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- italian seasoning (or dried oregano, basil, etc.)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch rounds and place on a microwave safe plate.
- Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and microwave for 6 - 7 minutes to soften.
- Mix spices with breadcrumbs. Coat each eggplant slice in mixture. Place in large glass baking dish.
- Cover with chopped peppers, sliced zucchini, sliced tomatoes, onion, & garlic. Pour spaghetti sauce over top and sprinkle with oregano and cheese.
- Bake 1 hour at 350°.
I thought this casserole was very good, although I would make some changes to the assembly. What I would do different is sautee all of the other vegetables 1st so they are pre-softened too. I had to bake my casserole for 90 minutes to get all of the vegetables soft. And the only other thing is that instead of layering the vegetables I would mix them all together in the casserole. Other than those changes though this is a very good casserole with awesome flavors!