Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This dish is a little different and results in a sweet and savory combination that even the most finicky eater will love. Our two year old scarfed it down.
- Heat Olive Oil in skillet over medium heat. Add celery and saute until fragrant. Add Green Onion and sugar and cook 1 minute.
- Peel Eggplant and slice into 1/4 inch medallions.
- Add Eggplant and cook until bottom begins to change color and soften about 3 minutes.
- Flip Eggplant and add Balsamic, Onion Powder, Five Spice, and Garlic Powder.
- Cook covered for 15 minutes stiring occasionally. The Eggplant should darken and begin to soften considerably.
- Add Spinach, Salt and Pepper and cook uncovered until spinach is wilted.
The flavor was really good. I overcooked the eggplant. I always overcook the eggplant! It was dark and mushy. If I ever learn the secret to eggplant, this will definitely be a favorite. I could also see myself modifying the recipe to only include the spinach. Flavor was excellent.
This was an interesting recipe. Overall the flavor was very nice. I made this in two batches as I always do when I try and rate a recipe. I made a couple of changes the second time around which I think really worked better.
I didn't add the scallions as early as the recipe states. I added them when I added the eggplant. Also, the egg plant I diced vs medallions which to me just didn't work and I didn't use any onion powder and used fresh garlic. Overall it was a very nice recipe. I'm thinking a little red pepper may be nice. It needed a bit of a kick I think.
But thanks for a unique recipe.
Made for PAC 2011