Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my favorite dishes which I made when I had very limited things on hand. I make it often now. This can be eaten warm or cold. I prefer room temperature. Good balsamic vinegar makes a difference. It can be eaten alone or on toasted bread. I find if I cannot find a decent tomato or it is not tomato season it is better to use sun-dried. The amounts of oil and vinegar you use should be according to your personal taste.
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sweet vidalia onion
- 1⁄2 cup roasted peppers, packed in oil (from jar)
- 1⁄2 cup ripe tomatoes or 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- shaved parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped very fine
- Peel hard boiled eggs and dice as small as possible.
- Dice onion, roasted peppers (don't rinse the oil) basil and tomatoes into very small pieces.
- Place all diced foods into bowel.
- Add oil, vinegar and spices to taste.
- Let sit for 1/2 hour.
- Spoon on top of toasted crostini bread rounds or eat alone, or atop of some good dark leafy greens.
- Top with good shaved parmesan cheese if desired.
I used the basic idea of this & just added what I could find in the fridge & pantry. I used shredded sweet onions, marinated peppers & some crushed tomatoes I had leftover with some dried basil & the last of my balsamic which fell short of the recipe measurements. All in all this was quite a nice lunch on some toast. I melted my parmesan on top so my filling was a little warm which was nice as it quite cold here at the moment. A lovely & different idea for boiled eggs. Thanks for posting!