Recipe by chia
This makes a lovely dish for guests and looks like a lot more work than it actually is. I cook mine longer as I prefer mine cooked through.
Top Review by rsarahl
What a nice dish! This was an easy way to prepare duck that yielded both rich flavor without the usualy oily issues of duck. I did drain the pan slightly after step 5 as well because there was a considerable amount of fat again. The asparagus potato puree is nicely seasoned... just lovely really, and has made it onto our dinner table with chicken and fish since making this duck dish. All in all, a big hit. Thanks!
- 4 duck breasts
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb asparagus, sliced and steamed
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, peeled, boiled, mashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups mesclun
- 12 leaves radicchio
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prick the breasts with a knife to make some holes.
- In an ovenproof skillet cook the breasts fat side down to render the fat, about 10 minutes, drain.
- Turn over and cook in the oven 5 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar and cook 5 minutes more.
- Reserve the asparagus tips.
- Add steamed asparagus to a processor and puree.
- Add the puree, olive oil, salt & pepper to the potatoes, mix well.
- Slice duck breasts.
- Add puree to 4 plates, arrange duck breasts alongside.
- Garnish with mesclun, radicchio and asparagus tips.