1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is adapted from a Family Circle recipe circa 1999. I have tweaked it to my liking but the integrity of the dish remains throughout. It's super simple and full of flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 medium onion, halved then sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly shredded
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 8 skinless chicken thighs (about 2.5 lbs)
- 1Heat oil in Dutch oven or large sauce pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook until translucent, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, paprika, curry powder, salt, and red pepper flakes; cook for about a minute, stirring.
- 2Season chicken to taste with salt and pepper. Add to onion mixture, cooking 2 minutes per side.
- 3Stir in vinegar, mustard, and water.
- 4Sprinkle chickpeas into pot over chicken. Simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for about 40 minutes, or at least until thighs are cooked through.
- 5Serve chicken, chickpeas, and balsamic sauce over or alongside basmati rice.
- 6*Note: more red pepper flakes can be added for more heat. Doubling the amount will give it a good kick.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamic Chicken Vindaloo
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.1
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 114.5 mg
- Sodium 814.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 33.5 g