Recipe by Goody Thomas
I made these up with ingredients on hand, and have cooked them several times since -- they are a big hit with my husband and neighbor who comes for dinner! I tend to overcook my chicken to play it safe, so at 45 minutes, I uncover and leave in oven while I finish up side dishes like rice pilaf and green beans. Even if cooked too long, chicken remains moist and tender. Use your own expertise to cook chicken until done.
Top Review by CulinaryQueen
Sorry, but I'm only giving three stars as it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. I felt that it was very bland in taste. I told my husband that if I ever decided to make this again, I would make a few changes. I would cook the onions a bit first before adding them to the baking dish, as they were still a bit crunchy. Also, I think I would make my own tomato sauce and use that instead of just putting the diced tomatoes on top. I expected to have a nice, somewhat juicy sauce to pour over the top, but it turned out thick, almost the consistency of thin mashed potatoes, perhaps from the bread crumbs. However, the chicken was tender. I made spaghetti to go with this.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 1 can sliced tomatoes, sliced
- grated/ground parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- garlic salt
- 1 egg
- 1 medium cooking onion
- butter or olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Slice onion Melt enough butter or coat glass baking dish with olive oil.
- Spread onion slices on bottom of baking dish.
- Beat egg in small mixing bowl Drain tomato juice into bowl, reserving tomatoes.
- Add balsamic vinegar, about 1 tsp garlic salt and cheese (to personal taste)
- On a plate spread about 1 cup breadcrumbs.
- Season with garlic salt and cheese to taste.
- Coat chicken breast in balsamic mixture, then coat in bread crumbs.
- Place in baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining breasts.
- Pour remaining mixture around chicken breasts.
- Cover chick breasts with reserved tomatoes.
- Sprinkle additional cheese on top if desired.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.