Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
So simple, balsamic chicken is heavenly!
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a chicken breast into a large Ziploc bag, close the bag almost all the way, then pound the chicken to a thickness to 1/2-inch thick; repeat with remaining breasts.
- Mix together salt, pepper, flour, and sage.
- Dredge flattened breasts in a mixture; shake off excess flour.
- Melt together the olive oil and butter in a large wide sauté pan or large electric griddle (one with a cover) and brown the chicken over medium-high heat for 3 minutes on one side.
- Add the garlic and shallot then turn the chicken over and sprinkle with the mushrooms.
- Saute for an additional 3 minutes, stirring the mushrooms so that they will cook evenly.
- (You may need to cook the chicken one or two at a time if you don't have a large pan; if so, cook them all then add them all back into the pan for the final steps.) Stir in the balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, and wine.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, basting with the sauce and turning the chicken once or twice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Makes 4 servings.
- You can also cook the breasts without flattening them first.
This chicken is awesome! The balsamic vinegar really adds a nice tang, and the sauteed mushrooms are a nice touch. My husband is extremely fussy, and he's already asking when I'm going to make this again. It was a huge hit with the family, and super-easy to make. Thanks!
Smells and tastes so good you can hardly wait for it to be on your plate. You can add some green or black olives too.
This recipe is a keeper! I halved the recipe and made it last night. My husband and I loved it. I went a little heavy on the garlic, and the combination of the flavors was wonderful. Thanks!