Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe from Pierre Franey Cuisine Rapide. If you love balsamic vinegar this is the recipe for YOU!
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1⁄4 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt or pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Discard any extra flour.
- Brown chicken in olive oil. Add the garlic, mushrooms, vinegar and broth, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 5 minutes or so. Remove the bay leaf.
- Swirl in butter and serve.
This is an excellent recipe that my family has loved for years. I cook it from the original cookbook and there seems to be a few changes from the original recipe to simplify it. I'll put below what is missing from original: 1) use boneless / skinless chicken - no need to pound thin. 2) 6 whole garlic cloves - they become nice and sweet when cooking. If you don't like garlic, just use less. 3) Brown chicken for 3-5 min before adding garlic and mushrooms. Turn chicken, then add liquid and thyme. (you want the garlic to brown a little before adding the liquid) 4) Step #3 = remove chicken and keep warm/covered. Heat sauce to reduce a little, then swirl butter.