Recipe by ShanH
This is a recipe from Pierre Franey Cuisine Rapide. If you love balsamic vinegar this is the recipe for YOU!
Top Review by mllej
This is an excellent recipe that my family has loved for years. I cook it from the original cookbook and there seems to be a few changes from the original recipe to simplify it. I'll put below what is missing from original: 1) use boneless / skinless chicken - no need to pound thin. 2) 6 whole garlic cloves - they become nice and sweet when cooking. If you don't like garlic, just use less. 3) Brown chicken for 3-5 min before adding garlic and mushrooms. Turn chicken, then add liquid and thyme. (you want the garlic to brown a little before adding the liquid) 4) Step #3 = remove chicken and keep warm/covered. Heat sauce to reduce a little, then swirl butter.
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1⁄4 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt or pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Discard any extra flour.
- Brown chicken in olive oil. Add the garlic, mushrooms, vinegar and broth, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 5 minutes or so. Remove the bay leaf.
- Swirl in butter and serve.