Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Another tantalizing fall recipe from Southern Living Magazine, November 2006
- 3 (1360.77 g) bag baby carrots
- 1419.54 ml water
- 118.29 ml balsamic vinegar
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 88.74 ml butter
- 9.85 ml minced thyme
- 9.85 ml tarragon
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- Combine carrots and 6 cups water in the dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Drain carrots and keep warm.
- Cook balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in brown sugar and butter until smooth.
- Pour vinegar mixture over warm carrots, toss to coat.
- Stir in thyme, tarragon and salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Very nice side, loved the balsamic but think next time I'd cut down by half on the brown sugar as it was a little sweet with the sweetness of the carrots. Easy to put together and the spices set it off nicely.
While this had a great flavour, I didn't find that the sauce "stuck" to the carrots much at all. I ended up with more sauce in the pot than on the carrots. I don't know what I did wrong (I followed the recipe exactly - or so I thought). Either way, they still tasted great! Made for PAC Spring 2010
Mmm, delicious! I halved the recipe, and it was wonderful. The carrots had an almost sweet flavor, and the sauce was fabulous. I'm trying to think of other things I can use it on, it's that good. Thanks for posting, Cheri Lee - we'll be making this one again!