1/2 Photos of Balsamic Braised Short Ribs
These flavorful ribs can be made ahead of serving, which both heightens the flavor and makes it much easier to remove excess fat from the dish. Short ribs are the meaty ends of the rib bones - choose cuts from the chuck, which are the most flavorful, or from the rib, which are a bit leaner. Adapted from Cooking Light. Prep time includes chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 4 lbs short rib of beef, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped red onions
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth (home made broth preferred)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes or 2 cups chopped roma tomatoes
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 2Over medium-high temperature, heat a large Dutch or French oven and spray it with cooking spray.
- 3Season the ribs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 4Brown the ribs in two batches in the heated pan, about 8 minutes per batch, until browned; remove from pan.
- 5Add the finely chopped onion to the pan and saute until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- 6Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- 7Add the browned ribs back into the pan, then add the wine, vinegar, brown sugar, and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- 8Cover pan and transfer to the oven, and bake at 300°F for 90 minutes or until tender.
- 9Remove from oven and let cool slightly, then transfer pan to refrigerator and let chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- 10After chilling, skim the solidified fat from the surface of the broth mixture and discard fat.
- 11Over medium heat on the stove, cook the ribs in the Dutch or French oven for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 12Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, and serve.
- 13Serve along with potatoes, pasta, and/or vegetables - the sauce goes quite well with them, too!
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamic Braised Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1283.7
- Calories from Fat 987
- Total Fat 109.7 g
- Saturated Fat 47.7 g
- Cholesterol 229.8 mg
- Sodium 449.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 44.9 g