Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Balsamic vinegar gives this already very savory sauce additional depth and a rich dark color. It also helps it adhere better to grilling meat, combining with the brown sugar and soy sauce to create a nice glaze. Asian and Middle Eastern grocers sell all kinds of hot chili paste - choose the degree of fire you prefer. My fave is harissa, from Tunisia.
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot chili paste (or equiv. amount of red pepper flakes)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Dice onion very finely, saute' with pressed garlic until soft.
- Add bourbon and chili paste (or pepper flakes), reduce over low flame.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until reaching the desired consistency (about 45 minutes). Tastes better over time, so prepare a few days in advance if you can.
- If not salty enough for your taste, add soy sauce rather than salt.