Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This delicious steak can be served alone or the slices can be tossed in a salad with the hot marinade sauce used as dressing. Points...5.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 1⁄2 cup beer (either ale or lager) or 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons grainy mustard or 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Pierce steak several times with fork; place in resealable plastic bag or in shallow dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients; mix well and pour over meat.
- Seal bag tightly or cover dish.
- Let meat marinate in refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 12 hours.
- Remove meat from marinade and grill over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium doneness; remove from heat and allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Transfer marinade to small saucepan and boil for 5 to 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- To serve, slice steak in thin strips across the grain and top with sauce, if desired.
I used this as a starting point for a marinade and it was very nice. I left out the chili powder and the brown sugar but I added a bit of oil and some prepared teriyaki sauce. We grilled it over charcoal and it was perfect. Thanks for posting.
All in all, this was pretty good. We tossed it in with some romaine and I think it would be better alone I also think a heartier beer would have made it a better meal (used a lite beer). I marinated it for 24 hours and it wasn't as flavorful as I thought it would be. I will make it again but will not put it in the salad and will probably add more onions. Thanks!